Crypts - too many leaves on the surface

Another plant, another topic, same tank. I have this crypt ( Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia) in my tank for 12 years I would say. During my shelldwellers day it was the only plant in the tank, two years ago, when I remade it to amazonia, I left one or two plants, not more. Two years later and I would say there are eight, ten? who knows

The problem is, their leaves are all over the surface and the fish dont swim inbetween them, the hatchetfish dont like them either I suppose. Also the sponge is almost impossible to get out now and the flow is very much affected by the plants. The plus side is, the bamboo shrimp like to sit there.

Today I trimmed few leaves, I cant do too much at once, the stems will melt. I dont think I could uproot them at this point, not without taking most of the wood out of the tank, their root systems are too big and I dont exactly reach in the middle of the  tank 🙂 

How much can I get rid of? From past experience ,cutting the leaves in half results in melt, so that is not the way. Whole leaf or nothing.

PS - yes, I am doing a water change

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

• Like 3

On 10/5/2023 at 2:54 PM, Fish Folk said:

Glorious Crypt! I’d personally move out the fish that hate the plants, and load up on ones that love them.  

Do not worry, I am waiting the hatchetfish out :)) I also consider removing the ember tetras, but am arguing about it with my boyfriend, who keeps saying " you got them, you wanted them, take care of them". But that was two years ago and I since discovered so many more interesting fish! the rummynose couldnt care less about he crypts. I did consider getting some honey gouramis ( to replace the embers), but am not sure if they wouldnt mind the restricted access to the surface. 

Luckily these two years the crypt didnt have a meltdown, I used to have that yearly in summer when I lived in another flat. Too warm water meets too cold water. These girls do not mind 

• Like 2

On 10/5/2023 at 4:08 PM, JChristophersAdventures said:

Beautiful plant(s) almost seems a shame you don't have it in a much taller tank. Thanks.

My tank is already 60cm and I cant reach the bottom 🙂 I wouldnt be able to handle higher tank

• Like 1

@beastie Here is a link to help you with that: https://www.amazon.com/Zeeporte-Dive-Snorkeling-Gear-Adults/dp/B09PDMTPL5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=17UIC2CCE7LD4&keywords=snorkeling%2Bgear&qid=1696515163&sprefix=snorkling%2Bgear%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-4&th=1

This is NOT an affiliate link...btw. Thanks.

Edited by JChristophersAdventures
  • Haha 1

On 10/5/2023 at 7:24 AM, beastie said:

How much can I get rid of? From past experience ,cutting the leaves in half results in melt, so that is not the way. Whole leaf or nothing.

I would trim all the long leaves, stem and all, as low as possible. The shorter leaves will continue to grow and more new growth will emerge. I have done this many times with unruly crypts. I have trimmed 50% or more of the leaves on occasion with no problem.

• Like 1

You need to immediately redo the tank, pull out all those ugly Crypts and send them all to ME!  I would love to have this problem and have been trying to get my hands on Crypt. aponogetifoium for quite some time.  I have no good suggestions for solving your problem but I am very jealous!  😉 

• Haha 1

#1 it’s a great big crypt that’s so happy it’s giving you babies.

#2 that’s $$$ right there you could sell these easily as aponogetonifolia is rare I had them a couple years back from The Wet Spot. I think I’ve seen it for sale once since. 

#3 It’s the kind of plant to build a tank around. Angels could breed on these leaves. Any tetra would be in love with their aponogetonifolia blanket. 

#4 everyone above has indicated and you said as much, start trimming at the bottom of the leaf and it will spur new growth and keep it healthy. 

And I agree with @Odd Duck, I’ll buy a couple of those pup plants when you start selling!!

• Like 2