What are early symptoms of Scaly Leg Mites?

FoxholeFarm

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Berkeley, CA
My barnevelder hen has some redness on th shanks of both legs and seems like some of the scales on herlegs are slightly lifted. Is this the erly symptoms of scaly leg? If so, how should I treat it? Do I need to treat all my chicken even if they show no symptoms? I have PYthon dust as well as Pyrethrin spray I can use, but I heard it can be treated with olive oil. Advice would be helpful.

I will try to take a photo and post ASAP.

When you see scales on the leg beginning to lift, those are mites called Knemidocoptes mutans . At the first sign of this I apply Nu-Stock by massaging it into the scales on the entire leg to the end of the toes. Some people claim to have used Vick's Vapo rub, but i prefer Nu-Stock thinned with a bit of jojoba oil and it works very well. You may need to do it 2-3 times a week. It is best to treat earlier rather than later. Most feed stores carry Nu-Stock. This is what it looks like:
http://www.nustock.com/

Treat the roosts every 2-3 weeks with a good emulsified concentrate mix like Atroban or Ravap.

Yes, that it scaly leg mites. I have 2 with those right now. I have been soaking their feet and legs in warm epsom salt water for about 10 minutes, and using a toothbrush to kinda brush the legs and feet while they stand in the water. This will help loosen the scales and actually remove some of the mites. If you look real good, you will actually see some of the mites floating in the water. Then, once their legs and feet dry, I use another toothbrush and brush onto their feet and legs, some olive oil, to smother the rest of the mites that are remaining. I have repeated this every other day for a week now. I will probably continue atleast 2 more times. Oh, I also sprayed their roost and nesting boxes with a permethrin spray and dusted everything else in their coop and run with DE twice, as well as removed all bedding and replaced it with pine shavings. (Mites don't like the pine).

There are many methods to treating for leg mites, but this is what I decided to go with. Some people us vaseline, Vicks Vapor rub, gasoline, Ivermectin, etc. This is my first experience with it, but I hear they are hard to get rid of. So, for now, I guess I will wait and see and go from there. Good luck with yours, in whatever you decide.

I guess I was sort of hoping that I was just being paranoid. I already use pine for bedding and mulched their run with redwood this weekend. I'm planning to whitewash the coops this week and the lime and salt should kill just about anything on the roosts and all. I'll try the epsom soak before lubing up her legs to clean out the scales too. Should I do this for everyone or just the ones that seem to have symptoms?

I guess I was sort of hoping that I was just being paranoid. I already use pine for bedding and mulched their run with redwood this weekend. I'm planning to whitewash the coops this week and the lime and salt should kill just about anything on the roosts and all. I'll try the epsom soak before lubing up her legs to clean out the scales too. Should I do this for everyone or just the ones that seem to have symptoms?
I would at least treat them one time. Maybe if you treat it early on, it will prevent any further infestation. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom