Corsair 27

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
About to purchase an older Corsair 27 folding trimaran built between 1986 and 1997.

Sister vessel (not the one I am buying) :
trimarans for sale Corsair F27 Corsair/F27 Multihulls World
Perry Design Review: Corsair F-27 - boats.com
New Arrival! 27' Corsair F-27

Will be replacing the standing rigging and the running rigging.
Probably the trampolines
The wiring might come in for replacement.

Any other items/issues I should look out for in particular?

The current storage charges will be reduced from US$2,336.00 to US$0.00.

Is there a Corsair 27 folding trimaran Club?
If there is please post link as I cannot find one.

choppy

Visit site
About to purchase an older Corsair 27 folding trimaran built between 1986 and 1997.

Sister vessel (not the one I am buying) :
trimarans for sale Corsair F27 Corsair/F27 Multihulls World
New Arrival! 27' Corsair F-27

Will be replacing the standing rigging and the running rigging.
Probably the trampolines
The wiring might come in for replacement.

Any other items/issues I should look out for in particular?

The current storage charges will be reduced from US$2,336.00 to US$0.00.

Is there a Corsair 27 folding trimaran Club?
If there is please post link as I cannot find one.

Great boats when looking for small tri I went down the dragonfly route ( more late build boats available at the time )
but if there is ever another tri would be a Farrier without doubt

There is a yahoo group with ian's documents available (Inc what to look for on buying boat - specific all models & much discussion on the issues you mention
A rarely open attitude to problems IE put it out there & fix it rather than hushing things up.

Way to go ---

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Great boats when looking for small tri I went down the dragonfly route ( more late build boats available at the time )
but if there is ever another tri would be a Farrier without doubt

There is a yahoo group with ian's documents available (Inc what to look for on buying boat - specific all models & much discussion on the issues you mention
A rarely open attitude to problems IE put it out there & fix it rather than hushing things up.

Way to go ---
Got a link to that group?

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Mainly the envious scowls of monohull owners as you whistle past them. Pesky things!

Love it.

One disadvantage ? of a Trimaran is that while fast it does not like being heavily loaded. Doing so apparently severely affects speed, manoeuvrability and sea worthyness.

I guess I will have to take credit cards rather than oodles of bundles cash when sailing to St.Barths when I sail over to rub shoulders(?) with the rich and famous away for the weekend.
Roughly a 57 mile journey around the SEP (+/-37 miles as the bird flies).
Basically a beam reach so, at 17.25mph/15knots, a 3.5 hour sail. Probably a 4 hour sail allowing for the waves, it is the Atlantic after all.

Speeds of over 15 knots are well documented and easily achieved in a breeze.
Depends on one's definition of a 'breeze'. Beaufort has 'breeze from Force 2 to Force 7. Here an average is around Force 4/5 i.e. 11mph to 24mph, tending to be
20mph.

I have sailed at 20+knots on the Catamaran 'Spirit of St.Kitts' on a New Year's morning.

Neeves

Visit site
Thinwater, a member here, sails a Tri, but I forget what. He also writes regularly, he is their technical editor, for Practical Sailor and much of his recent work was conducted on his tri, previously he owned a cat.

You could send him a PM - and he might have an answer to your question.

There are no speciality forums for specific vessel types, or brands here. A yacht can have one, two or three hulls - they are all lumped together.

If I can help you with lightweight ground tackle :) - send me a PM.

I think Corsairs are now owned by Seawind - you could send them an email and ask them.

Jonathan

Rum_Pirate

Visit site

Have purchased a Corsair F-27, made in 1991.
It was valued at circa US$20K.

Am now a joint owner with 25% of the Corsair F-27.

Told a friend - used to own 'AKKA' - of my purchasing a tri. "Ah" he said "a mono with training hulls".

So I sent him this:
Sailing and Boating Funny Cartoons and Photos and Art - Page 3 - Cruisers &  Sailing Forums

Now did I get a good deal ?
I have two partners.
One partner has 50% and he is here 5-6 months of the year. Prefers motoring/gunkholing around than sailing.
My other partner is here 3-4 months of the year. He used to have a 44'0" catamaran - which I helped him sail.
Yes while those months overlap I am here all year round.
Must admit that it is likely that 'Kitty' will be out of the water for most of the hurricane season, say about 4 months of the year July to mid/end of October.
At present the boat will be stored in my garden. So we have no storage costs when it is out of the water.
Hmm, maybe I should charge my Partners a bit.
Had to widen the gate opening by 4'0" and build a new sliding gate (US$2,600.00, it needed a replacement) as the original opening had only 4" clearance on either side of the boat and trailer.
1666722179499.png
The second panel from the right is a wicket gate.

The new standing rigging and a new mainsail has arrived.
Which my 25% partner and I as part of the purchase had to purchase.
The new mainsail is black and is supposed to have extra UV protection.
Awaiting new sheets for main and jib along with new halyard for main.
Jib is a roller furler.
Requires antifouling at $380.00 per (US) gallon.

EPIRB requires replacement. I think a new one is in order as the battery in the existing one was to have been replaced in 08/2009.

So did I get a new deal? ?